Phi Sigma Pi Holds 2nd Annual Casey Feldman Benefit Concert
The West Chester University chapter of the national honors fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi, held the second annual Casey Feldman Memorial Foundation benefit concert on April 9, 2011. Over $1900 in proceeds were raised for NOYS, the National Organization for Youth Safety, and matched by the Foundation. Funds raised by the Fraternity this year surpassed last year’s proceeds by some $600.
Donating their musical talents in the ballroom at the Sykes Student Union were Ryan Colestock and the bands, Do Re Mi Fa Soul and The GoAround. Students paid a $5 donation at the door, and received a pink “Casey” bracelet. All attendees were able to purchase raffle tickets for good and services donated by local vendors; bumper magnets that promote pedestrian safety; and t-shirts that read “I brake for pedestrians… brake for me.” A special “Casey” table was in place where students could view collages of photographs of Casey as well as a photographic slideshow of Casey’s life, prepared by Amber Staska, former Phi Sigma Pi President and one of Casey’s best friends.
Casey’s parents, Dianne Anderson and Joel Feldman spoke to the group about Casey and the fact that a distracted driver struck her while she was in a crosswalk on an otherwise normal summer afternoon at the shore. Mr. Feldman took the opportunity to introduce the 3 minute video clip of Casey which appears on the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Faces of Distracted website.
Students were interviewed throughout the evening about how their driving habits have changed as the result of their awareness of the dangers of distracted driving. According to one student, ”When I drive now, that is the only task that I am doing.” Video footage will be available in a future News and Updates blog article.
Related Posts and Links:
– WCU’s Phi Sigma Pi Schedules Second Annual Benefit Concert For April 9, 2011
– Amber Staska Discusses Distracted Driving in Seventeen Magazine
– West Chester University Honors Fraternity Holds Pedestrian Safety Campaign and Fundraiser for Foundation, to read about last year’s campaign and concert
– Casey Feldman Original.mov, “Because of Casey” video produced by Phi Sigma Pi for 2010 benefit concert
– Amber Staska Sings at Phi Sigma Benefit concert in Memory of Casey Feldman, video wtih photos