Alternative Breakers Receive Generous Scholarships
Not all college students spend their spring break basking in the sun, relaxing and partying. Some 130 students at the University of Colorado – Boulder choose an “Alternative Spring Break” and pile themselves into vans, travel to another part of the country and perform a week of community service. Among the multitude of Alterative Spring Break trips, students have prepared and delivered food for the sick and disabled in NYC, helped rebuild homes for Katrina victims in New Orleans, worked to improve services for the homeless in Cincinnati and dirtied their hands in an effort to preserve a fragile island ecosystem off the coast of Los Angeles. They stay in youth hostels, host homes or in some cases, on the premises where they perform their week of service. There is no funding for these trips which cost anywhere from $250 to $600. Through scholarships provided by the Casey Feldman Memorial Foundation, some 7 to 8 students each year for the past 2 years have been able to participate. Thes students would otherwise have been precluded from doing so because of the expense. Take a look at the University of Colorado Volunteer Resource Center Spring 2011 Newsletter to learn more about this year’s trips and what some of the grateful scholarship recipients have to say about their experience.
Click here to read the entire article and Newsletter in PDF format.
There are many more students who would like to particpate but who do not have the funds to do so. Contribute to the Casey Feldman Memorial Foundation so that more deserving students may experience the rewards of an “Alternative Spring Break”.
– Helping our children experience the gift of helping others, article in the Fall CU Parent Newsletter by Casey Feldman’s parents, Joel Feldman and Dianne in which they discuss the establishment of the Alternative Spring Break scholarships in Casey’s memory
– Casey Feldman Inspiration video , produced by CU Boulder broadcast journalism student Kylie Bearse and which aired on CU Boulder TV News, concerning the Alternative Spring Break program and the scholarships established in Casey’s memory
– Scholarship Recipient Undergoes Life Altering Experience Through Urban Poverty Trip
– University of Colorado – Boulder, Volunteer Resource Center , Volunteer office at CU which organizes the Alternative Spring Break trips
– Casey Feldman Memorial Foundation News and Updates – University of Colorado, Alternative Spring Break, all of the Foundation articles concerning the Alternative Spring Break scholarships, recipients, trips and student testimonials